Machine Learning Engineer at fast growing tech startup
Avrios is the award-winning fleet management software. Founded in 2015 in Zurich by a team of serial entrepreneurs, Avrios currently manages the fleet of more than 750 customers in Europe and is one of the fastest growing companies in the SaaS space. Our SaaS platform helps companies provide tailored transportation to its employees and thus enables them to attract top talent while keeping their transportation expenditures under control. Fueled by a passionate, driven and hard-working team, backed by leading venture capital investors and supported by a high calibre board of directors, Avrios is looking to continue this growth journey and help hundreds of thousands of people in Europe move seamlessly.
As our first Machine Learning engineer you help our users save thousands of hours of work every month by automating menial data extraction and categorization tasks. You will also make use of our detailed database with data from more than 80’000 vehicles (europe’s largest dataset of this kind) to help our users make better decisions about which cars they need when - and of course help them accelerate the shift to electric vehicles.
In brief, you are the machine learning expert in our company and implement projects in all parts of our product to enable our customers to make smart decisions without them crunching data. You own these experiences for our customers end to end and continuously improve your models over time.
Your responsibilities include:
- You independently plan and execute projects (data analysis, preprocessing, model building, training, evaluation, iteration) where machine learning plays a central role in close collaboration with a product manager
- Advising the product managers and engineering team on capabilities possible with today’s machine learning algorithms. You own the value we create for our customers through machine learning and advocate for the technology to solve more of our customer’s problems with machine learning
- You work closely with our core software engineering team to bring services with machine learning components into production and maintain them going forward
- You keep up to date with the rapid development in this field and have a thorough understanding which problems should be solved in-house and for which parts there may be good off the shelf solutions we can utilize.
About the data set
For all the problems where we expect to apply machine learning in the near future we have already assembled large, labeled data sets (tens of thousands to millions of data points) which can be utilized for the training of our machine learning algorithms. Organizing datasets will not be your main responsibility.
- BSc. or MSc. degree in computer science, ideally with a focus on machine learning and/or data analysis
- 2+ years experience in data analysis and machine learning where you independently solved problems with machine learning and related techniques at a company
- Strong understanding of and experience in applying basic computer vision algorithms and concepts for preprocessing of data
- Good understanding of statistics, data analysis and common pitfalls when working with large data sets
- You bring a strong interest for the customer’s problem and a passion for solving tough technical challenges through machine learning
- You have a strong passion for machine learning and stay up to date on developments in the field
- Experience with data extraction from images and documents as well as document classification is a strong plus
- Experience with Java, Angular, Typescript, AWS is a plus
- Good communication skills in English are a must, German or Italian is a plus
- EU (Schengen) citizenship or valid work permit for Switzerland
- Competitive compensation in both cash and stock
- A generous education budget to invest in both your personal and professional growth
- A modern mobility policy with unlimited private use of our Tesla Model 3s
- Lots of fun and insightful activities from regular hackathons to team off-sites
- An incredibly dedicated, experienced and very international team
- The freedom to have a big impact on a fast-growing international startup
- A great culture that promotes open feedback and personal development
- Centrally located offices in the heart of beautiful Zurich